Saturday, March 12, 2011

Thought of You - Ryan Woodward

Just a little piece today, passing on a work of great beauty to those who haven't seen it.

One of the most amazing pieces of animation I've ever seen.


Have you watched it yet?  Watch it before reading on.  I mean it.  It's art and you should form your own opinion about it before I tell you mine.

Okay, you better have watched it.

To me, this is a film simply about love.  Romantic love, in all of its wonder and sadness.  It was purposefully made to be very general in its emotion.  I look into it and see myself, just as you see yourself.  The great beauty of the piece is how much emotion is conveyed through gestural forms.  The power of this video comes from combining the emotional power of dance, drawing, and animation.  I love it so much.  I've watched it so many times and still find myself completely swept up in it.

This is a great example of the kind of art that ends up saying more about the viewer than it does about the artist.  Like a magic mirror, this kind of art can reveal our inner soul, the spirit that we hide from the world.  That is beautiful to me.

I hope to one day animate something that awesome.

If you like this, you should totally go visit Ryan Woodward's website, Cont√©Animated.  There is a great "Making Of" video, and he has quite a bit of other work that is very exceptional.

If this video stirs something in you and you want to share, feel free to post your thoughts in the comments.

2 comments:

  1. you've written wonderfully about the video, but I still can't figure out the story of the animation, can you please describe it to me? It'd be very great of you :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think there's not really a STORY per se. I think it's more just an exploration of heartbreak and love. It's kind of a blank slate to put your own interpretation on, you know?

      Delete