Friday, May 20, 2011

Doodle-A-Day 11

Went to the zoo today.  It was raining, so I didn't get as much opportunity to sketch as I would have liked, but I did get a few doodles.


The duck in particular seemed really eager to be sketched.  As soon as I started drawing it, it held really still, which was nice of it.

The zoo was actually really wonderful.  It was a cool spring day and the animals were very active.  In particular, I was impressed by the activity of the wolves, who came right up to my friend and we watched them for a good ten minutes or so.  I had never seen the wolves do anything other than lie in the shade during hot summer days, so it was nice getting to see them out and about.  They were so beautiful.  I really wanted to draw them, but unfortunately, the rain was not on my side and there was no conveniently shielded location.

The zoo I went to was Zoo Montana, which actually just recently lost its accreditation with the Association of Zoos and Aquariums and will be losing many of its animals as a result.  This is mainly due to poor accounting and a lack of funds on the zoo's part.  This is a real shame.  It is a beautiful place and the people care deeply about wildlife conservation and education about the natural world.  It played an important role in my childhood learning, and no doubt had a strong impact on my decision to become a biology major.

If you live in the Billings area, or even if you just care about keeping wildlife and ecological education alive, there is a Donate button at the Zoo Montana website: zoomontana.org.  Also, if you live in the Billings area, I encourage you to stop by the zoo.  Spend a day there and really soak it in.  They will be losing many of their most beautiful animals soon, so see them while you can and support the zoo.

No comments:

Post a Comment