Monday, February 6, 2012

Doodle-A-Day 271

I don't usually post doodles I do in class, but I actually really liked how this one turned out so I scanned it.  It's some kind of Allosaur.  I am not going to be more specific than that as I had no reference material at the time (this was a direct result of being in my Spanish class.  You'd think for 4 credits I wouldn't doodle so much.  You'd think wrong.).  I want to stress that the feathers are ENTIRELY speculatory, as I mostly just tried them on a whim.  After I scanned it I did a little bit of research to see if they would be even a little justified.  I did find a tenuous connection in the form of a paper from 2010 describing the taxon Concavenator corcovatus (actually a pretty cool dinosaur; I should do a doodle soon), revealing that it may have had feathers, which would push back the evolution of feathers to include the Allosaurs as well.  However, considering the evidence was only some quill knobs on its arms, I'm going to admit that the full coat of feathers I chose to depict here are  only tenuously likely.  However!  Science does march on!  And I think this thing might be cool enough to be real... (that's how reality works, right?)



ETA:  Oh, and because I'm a good little scientist in training, I should probably cite that paper I mentioned:

Ortega, F., Escaso, F., Sanz, J. L. A bizarre, humped Carcharodontosauria (Theropoda) from the Lower Cretaceous of Spain.  Nature.  267, 203-206 (2010)


No comments:

Post a Comment