Sunday, March 4, 2012

Doodle-A-Day 294-298

First of all, today is my mom's birthday!  Yay!  My mom is one of the most wonderful people in the whole world and I owe so much of who I am today to her amazing job of raising me.  Thanks mom!  Hope you have had a wonderful birthday!  I drew this quick sketch...


Next, continuing with my theme of obsession with mammal skulls, are some prehistoric whale skulls.

First is Pakicetus, a carnivorous land mammal that lived about 49 million years ago.


Next is another early whale ancestor, Ambulocetus, from about the same time.  Ambulocetus had already begun the transition from land to water and almost certainly spent time in both. 


This is Basilosaurus, a large, fully aquatic whale from about 35 million years ago.  


And, finally, a quick life sketch of Basilosaurus, which, despite the name, was a whale and not a dinosaur.  The people that discovered it were dumb.


1 comment:

  1. Nice drawings! And this reply is quite late but I discovered this only now sorry.

    And if I remember right the one who discovered Basilosaurus did not think it was a dinosaur but a marine reptile. His error was corrected when he showed the fossils to anatomist Richard Owen. Owen realized that Basilosaurus was actually a marine mammal and not a reptile.

    ReplyDelete