Thursday, March 15, 2012

Doodle-A-Day 309

And my week and a half of Doctor Who culminates with the current Doctor.  Matt Smith has been playing the Eleventh Doctor since 2010.

I admit it took me quite some time to warm up to Eleven.  I was so heartbroken when Ten left, and the show made no effort to hold my hand through the process, so I was initially very resentful of Eleven for replacing Ten. 

However, I have since come to love him as well.  He may be very different, but he is still The Doctor.  Eleven, in direct contrast to his predecessor, is extremely awkward and very alien.  He simply has trouble relating with humans, though he cares about them deeply.  He seems to have come to an uneasy peace with his role as the last remaining Time Lord, and his role in their extinction.  He is exuberant, enthusiastic, and occasionally childish.  However, behind his youthful exterior, Eleven really seems like a centuries-old alien that has seen much pain and darkness.  As Matt Smith said of the character, he is goofy and dorky because he has to be.  If he wasn't, he'd go insane.


No comments:

Post a Comment