Tuesday, April 3, 2012

BtVS Rewatch: Welcome to the Hellmouth/The Harvest

So, in honor of this being the 15th anniversary of the premiere of Buffy the Vampire Slayer, I think I am going to do a rewatch.  This will be fun.  I haven't done a full rewatch in several years now, instead opting to just watch random favorite episodes.  I also plan on writing about each episode here.  Because... I can?  I don't know.  It sounds like fun.

Now, these aren't going to be full-fledged reviews.  That has been done many times and much better than I could do it.  (Check out http://www.criticallytouched.com/ for my favorite reviews of both Buffy and Angel.)  Instead I think this is more going to be stream of conciousness-type posts, detailing small thoughts I have about the episode in question.  They will probably be pretty short, though if something feels like something I want to talk a lot about I might make a longer post once in a while.

I also have no guarantee of how frequently I will do this.  Unlike the Doodle-A-Day project, I'm not going to set any requirements here, and I will probably just do it whenever I have the time to.

A final note before I start the two-part pilot: There will be lots and lots of SPOILERS for future episodes.  This is a rewatch, and I will therefore call forward quite a bit when it strikes my fancy.

That in mind, here we go!

Welcome to the Hellmouth/The Harvest (1x1 & 1x2)

  • The first thing I notice:  They're all so little!!
  • Xander on a skateboard.  I like to think that this is the only time he ever tried skateboarding.
  • The Xander/Willow relationship seems strange here.  They are acting like two people that kind of know each other, as opposed to lifelong best friends.  This is especially strange because Willow has the line about how Xander stole her Barbie.
  • I love how eager Giles seems at first, and then how disappointed he gets when Buffy denies the Vampyr book.  (What is IN that book, anyway?)
  • Principle Flutie!  Hahaha, I just keep thinking about how he's going to get eaten later.
  • Angel is so ridiculous here.  I think that it's because they didn't quite know what his character would be, but I think it kind of makes sense knowing Angel's character.  Considering how obsessed with his appearance he is, I think he's trying to make a perfect first impression here.  Which is especially funny because we know that he was in New York eating rats not long before this.
  • I find the scenes with the Master in the weird sunken church to be really boring for the most part.  The only times I really appreciate the Master as a villain is when he's being funny.
  • The soundtrack to these episodes is so jarring!  I hate that strange 90s synth-y suspense sound that they insist on playing.  Ugh.  I can't wait till Season 2 when they get Christophe Beck as composer.
  • You know, I find it very strange that this show was even made.  I mean, I can see the potential, because I have seen the series.  But honestly, this whole everything is so goofy and weird.
  • Joyce is the best mom ever.  I can't blame her for not letting Buffy out.  She has no idea that it's actually really important.
  • I love how little time is spent on getting Xander and Willow up to speed.  If they had spent a long time denying it and stuff, it would have been so boring.  They are already the Scoobies!
  • I'd forgotten that Xander stakes Jesse by accident.  Is he ever even mentioned again once in the entire rest of the series?  Wasn't he like... their other best friend?  Or maybe we were mislead.  Maybe he had JUST started hanging out with them before this episode started.  That would be kind of funny.
  • Why is The Harvest a thing anyway?  I mean... I kind of thought that the Masters imprisonment was a unique event.  Like... he tried to do this thing once with the Hellmouth but failed and got stuck.  But he can use this Harvest thing to get enough power to break free?  And it happens every hundred years or whatever?  Why?  Does he get stuck someplace every hundred years?  This... doesn't make sense to me.
  • I love how Buffy tricks Luke into thinking the sun has risen.
  • "The earth is doomed."

No comments:

Post a Comment