Thursday, June 7, 2012

BtVS Rewatch: Never Kill a Boy on the First Date

Never Kill a Boy on the First Date (1x05)



  • "I best consult my books." Oh, Giles.
  • There is SO MUCH WOOD in the Master's lair.
  • Who the hell is this Owen kid.  He shows up out of nowhere and everybody reacts like he's been there the whole time.  Granted, it's only the 5th episode but the fact that he also ceases to exist completely after this makes me wonder if he only existed for the time this episode took to happen.
  • Oh my god.  Emily Dickenson is his security blanket?  Jesus...
  • He can brood for 40 minutes straight?  But he looks so chipper!  Seriously, I cannot see this guy brooding.  He's too much of a doof.
  • Cordy only likes Owen because Buffy does.  It's so clearly a plot contrivance.
  • "At this point you're abusing sarcasm."  I say this all the time.
  • And so begins the trend of Buffy seeing something from afar and it upsetting her and her not saying anything.  (Going to start a counter for this.)
  • How did the vampires know what to do?  Did the prophecy say something about a bus?
  • "My watch broke and we don't have any clocks in our house and so I didn't know what time it was or even what day it was..."  Best excuse ever.
  • Trying to see naked Buffy... little bit gross, Xander.
  • Owen and Buffy are SO TERRIBLE FOR EACH OTHER.  Seriously, even without the slaying thing, they are just completely incompatible people.
  • Also, Angel is 10x darker and broodier than Owen.
  • Xander: "'Cause of... the fun!"  Great line reading.
  • So the creepy vamp has a line where he just says "Pork and beans.  Pork and beans!"  The heck?
  • ...  Owen is clearly not dead when the vamp hits him.  Like... that is one of the least fatal injuries I've ever seen.
  • You know, I remembered this episode being really boring, and to an extent it kind of was.  But I like the fact that it is one of the first explorations of Buffy having to fight her destiny to have a normal life.  Poor girl.
  • I also adore the brief conversation between Buffy and Giles at the end:
"I was ten years old when my father told me I was destined to become a watcher.  He was one, and his mother before him, and I was to be next."
"Were you thrilled beyond measure?"
"No, I had very definite plans about my future.  I was going to be a fighter pilot.  Or possibly a grocer.  Well, my father gave me a very tiresome speech about responsibility and sacrifice."

  • Hey, we just got to see that scene in flashback in Angel and Faith!  Neat!
  • Ugh.  Damn Annointed One.

No comments:

Post a Comment