Friday, July 27, 2012

Buffy Rewatch: The Puppet Show

The Puppet Show (1x09)
Writer: Rob Des Hotel and Dean Batali

  • This writing team previously wrote Never Kill a Boy on the First Date (1x05)
  • I can't get over how much I love Giles being the director of the talent show.  He looks so pained about it!  Wonderful.
  • Willow is wearing a t-shirt that just has a picture of a rubber ducky on it.  I can't decide how to feel about that.
  • I LOVE Principle Snyder.  He's such a great antagonist.
  • I also love Giles' satisfied smile when the trio are made to participate in the talent show.
  • Buffy: "I saw a dummy, it gave me the wig.  There really wasn't a story there."
  • Willow: "It could be anyone!  It could be me!" (beat) "It's... not though."
  • Giles commenting on Cordy's hair to get her to leave is PERFECTION.
  • Lots of really great misdirects in this episode.
  • Having flash forwards to Willow's dream in Restless (4x22) where Giles is the director of the play.
  • I love that Sid doesn't get a happy ending.  His body is gone so when the curse is broken he just dies. It's sad but very real, too.  (Which is strange considering it's a story about an animated ventriloquists dummy.)
  • I find it very silly that Xander happened to come up with a perfect square for Willow to take the root of.  Couldn't there have been a different way to prove her intelligence that didn't seem so contrived?
  • Wouldn't that guillotine slice through Giles's brain?
  • Sid looks really stupid in action sequences.
  • The demon made a vampire dusting sound when it died.  That's weird.  I wonder if they were considering making that sound whenever any demon died.
  • Snyder: "What is it, avant-garde?"
  • The credits sequence is THE BEST EVER.
This is a solid episode.  Not terrible but not great either.  A quite well plotted mystery with a few great and unexpected red herrings.  Having the dummy turn out to be a good guy was quite clever and felt very BtVS.  Overall a pretty entertaining first season episode.

No comments:

Post a Comment