Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Doodle-A-Day 365


Alright, folks.  It's been a long time coming, but here -- finally -- is my last Doodle of the Day.  I apologize for my lateness, but this one was worth spending time on.  I feel like it really sums up the whole endeavor: my imagination, process, and drive as an artist.  It is quite simply a statement about the relationship I have with my art.  Over this year I have grown and changed, both as a person and as an artist.  But, in the end, it all comes back to the simple, wonderful act of putting pencil to paper.

For those who don't know the doodle features the TARDIS in back, Spider-Man on the right, a Velociraptor on the left, Buffy's scythe in front and Serenity off in the background.

I know I slipped up on the last couple of doodles, but I'm actually okay with that.  Though I put it on the internet for all to see, the Doodle-A-Day project was ultimately for myself.  And this final doodle deserved the time and the work I put into it.  I don't regret it.

Here are scans of the work in progress, as a point of interest.  Considering this is one of my favorite pieces I've done to date, I like that it is properly documented.

My first sketch, figuring out proportions and things.


Fleshing out Spidey and the Velociraptor.

Adding shadow and clarifying the TARDIS.

Finished TARDIS and Serenity.

The final pencil, cleaned up digitally.

I had always intended to color this one, but I liked the pencil so much I was wondering if I should keep going.  In the end I'm glad I colored it: I think it looks great and it was some of the most fun I've ever had in photoshop.  (Took HOURS though.)

So yes.  This is the end of the Doodle-A-Day project.  But this is by no means the last of my art you will see.

I'm just getting started.

No comments:

Post a Comment